A Penny For Your Thoughts...

** I am so glad our Guest Blogger, Betsey's post is about Penny Tile. I absolutely LOVE penny tile. Whenever I see it in a clients house I always encourage them to keep it, basically, it is a classic look!



Lately the penny has been on my mind. It could be because that’s all I see when I open my wallet or it could be because I just watch them fly out of my 401K like it’s a vending machine. My recent focus on pennies (actually the lack thereof) has renewed my interest in the ever classic penny tile (also commonly called a pennyround.)

The most common use for the penny tile is usually in the kitchen, bathroom or the subway due to its durability and ease of maintenance. A few examples are shown below.


















(photo courtesey of remodelista)


























(photo courtesey of domino)

Recently I’ve seen the penny tile popping up in areas you wouldn’t normally see it.
The other day for example, I was watching HGTV and came upon “Myles of Style” with Kim Myles. One of her latest projects was a family room redesign, and instead of using a normal ceramic or marble tile on the fireplace surround, she covered it in white penny tiles with a dark brown grout. It was an interesting idea but I’m not sure how I felt about the end result. I guess I’m so used to seeing the pennyround in a bath or kitchen so to me it felt out of context. I tried to find an image from the show but have searched high and low and found nothing. What do you think of the concept?

In addition to the above unusual use, the other day I found this lovely piece at the always gorgeous Anthropologie.






















And while researching wallpaper the other day, I found this familiar pattern from Graham & Brown

























Have any of you seen the penny tile used in other unique ways? A penny for your thoughts!

Have a great week!

**Bets

1 comment:

You Are My Fave said...

I don't know if I've ever seen this but I love it. I love that you're an interior designer. I wish I could join you.