Ms. Chanel

Coco Chanel was quoted as saying
"In order to be irreplaceable one must be different."
I read her biography when I was 16 and this quote just resonated with me. In some ways it has been my motto, so as I start on this blogging journey I keep the ever classy Coco in my sights! Where have all the classy fashion ladies gone? The Audrey Hepburns, Estee Lauders and Coco Chanels of the world. I LOVED that classic, clean, simple, elegant look. Always put together with just a bit of attitude and whimsy. The closest we have to that sophistication today is Carolina Herrara and Diane Von Furstenberg. I find this type of look is actually how I go about designing a room. Start with a classic or neutral piece of furniture (as in the sofa or bed) than build off of that piece. The "attitude" might be a large scaled bold piece of art work. While the classy part of the room could be beautiful, full, colorful panels on either side of the windows. Throw in some accent pillows and area rug which can be changed out with the season and there you go an outfit made! I believe it was in the Chanel biography that said before leaving the house take one piece of jewelry off. This can also be said for interiors. Sometimes a room can be filled to the brim which doesn't let you see any of the special pieces. Just by taking out one or two pieces lets the room "breathe". It can even be that pile of magazines in the corner or the one too many collectibles laying around.

No comments: